From Star Trek Online Geekipedia
|A brief description of the ID photo, if needed|
|The name your character is usually identified by|
|Player: You, the person making this character|
|Full Name:||The character's full official name, as would appear on a electoral roll or high school attendance register|
|Species:||Which race does your character belong to?<|
|Gender:||Male, female, zhen, shen, chan, thaan, neuter, asexual, etc, etc...|
|Age:||How many years old your character is, based on Earth standard|
|Height:||How tall your character is in either feet/inched or meters, or both|
|Weight:||How much your character weighs in a 1G Earth standard environment|
|Eye Color:||What colour your character's eyes are, if they have any|
|Hair Color:||What colour your character's hair is, if they have any|
|Faction:||Which political group your character belongs to, or which major faction they answer to|
|Place of Birth:||Which planet, station or vessel your character originally comes from|
|Base of Operations:||What location your character calls home|
|Marital Status:||Is your character married, single, divorced, widowed, etc.|
|Occupation:||Is your character a member of the military, working for a specific section or brach of the armed forces or do they have a civilian profession?|
|Rank:||What official position does your character hold, either in the military or another organisation?|
|Current Assignment:||Where your character currently works|
|Any additional information you'd like to mention|
Insert a brief description of your character here, something to explain who they are and what they do.
Classification: Is your character a humanoid lifeform, shapeshifter, sentient computer programme, highly advanced gas cloud, psychic houseplant or something defying classification?
Gender: Male, female, zhen, shen, chan, thaan, neuter, asexual, etc, etc...
Species: Which race does your character belong to?
Affiliation: Which of the major factions does your character belong to? At the release of STO this will be either the United Federation of Planets or the Klingon Empire
Feel free to add additional information here or delete as appropriate.
Here you should write a little about the way your character acts and how others see them. Are they an angry person, a clam person, how do they react under stress, do people tend to like being around them or are they total jerks?
This is the section for a detailed history about your character, highlighting the major events in their life and charting the progress of their career. Feel free to add as much details as you like, including subsections as appropriate.
To give your character a little extra colour this section is to tell us about any unusual abilities or experience they may have outside of their usual duties.
Once the game gets up and running I'm expecting subgroups to form within the factions. Some of these groups may have more pacifistic outlooks than other, while some will be more aggressive, some may follow the ideals of their faction to the letter while others are more rogue operators. This section is to let everyone know just how far your character is willing to go and what groups they are or have been associated with.
Curriculum Vitae/Service Records
This section is to record what official activities the character has been upto over the last few years, which vessels and postings they've been assigned to and what promotions and decorations they've been awarded.
For those looking to roleplay with their characters this section is to define some special abilities and traits which can be referenced in game.
Every character has one Central Trait and, because of the type of game we are playing, this Central Trait is going to be your job on the ship. Examples: Starfleet Captain, Chief Engineer, Ship’s Counselor, Executive Officer. Once you have the name of the trait, give a paragraph that describes your Starfleet experience and training. For example:
- Country Doctor: This character was trained in a top-flight medical school, but spent most of their career in the rural countryside, far from a major hospital or the best equipment. They're good at handling medical emergencies by themselves without nurses or the latest hardware. In fact, they know how to improvise medical equipment out of common household items, and can prescribe plenty of "home-made" cures which their big-city counterparts would never think of using. They've got a reassuring bedside manner, is known for their sense of humour and clever stories, and is beloved by all the people of the town where they come from.
Side Traits are much less broad than the Central Trait example above, "Country Doctor", and should highlight a specific special ability or outstanding experience in a certain field. This might include marksmanship, the ability to speak foreign languages or have experience with alien cultures, the ability to cook or a keen insight into the lives of others. For example:
- Martial Artist: The character has been training in various martial arts since they were a teenager. They are an expert at hand-to-hand combat and is the equivalent of a black-belt in the Andorian martial art kharakom, which is similar to Earth’s kickboxing, as well as Earth’s Tae Kwon Do and Klingon Mok’bara. As well as those styles, they are always interested in trying to learn new techniques and new styles of martial arts.
Given the plethora of alien races in the galaxy here's where you define which of them you belong to. Races will have their own advantages and disadvantages and even humans have different cultural backgrounds which may given them additional experience or abilities not common in mainstream culture. For example:
- Klingon: Given their racial background the character is highly resistant to injury and disease, with a tough physiology and strong immune system. With redundant systems for most important organs they're likely to be able to shake off all but the most critical of wounds, and even the loss of a limb can be recovered from with far less time than it would take for a human.
Try to keep this section canonically correct unless you're creating your own race, and if you are creating your own race please make a page defining the new species in the Species Category so if others want to make character of the same race they can make sure to remain consistent.
A Flaw can be anything physical, social, or psychological which handicaps your character in a way not already covered by your Traits. It should be broad enough to come up frequently; “Hates Klingons” would not be a good Flaw, because you will not encounter very many Klingons, but “Does not trust non-humans” would be much more significant. You cannot take Flaws related specifically to your alien species; those kinds of Flaws are already included as part of the Trait you took for your species. Write two or three sentences that explain your flaw. For example:
- Hound-Dog: This character cannot resist trying to pick up on attractive people they meet. If a pretty or handsome yeoman walks by in a short skirt or tight pants, they stare. If one happens to make eye contact with them, the character will give them "the look". Even if the other character doesn’t show any interest in them, they tend to think they are attracted, and it can take pretty direct evidence to convince them to the contrary. "Nah, they're just playing hard to get."
Due to the advantages gained from the character's profession, race and special trait it's best to have two flaws in order to offset how great they are, otherwise you'll end up with a character who can do everything too well. The 'side flaw' can be something less dominating than the first, but it should still be something which would affect certain aspects of your roleplaying. For example:
- Shell Shock: Having been through some of the bloodiest defeats during the Dominion War while assigned to the Seventh Fleet the character has been known to freeze up when faced with physical danger. This does not count when on the bridge of a starship but when on away missions and out of her safe environment they can get a little flaky.
This is where you list the kind of equipment, accessories and weapons your character would usually be found carrying. Sometimes they may acquire additional gear, such as when going on away missions or even just out on a date, but it's unlikely that a character would be walking around wearing an EV suit and hoisting an isomagnetic disintegrator on their shoulder.